Michael Chare

Default Is it worth replacing CH boiler for more economical model...?

"Nige" wrote in message
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Nige" wrote in message
With the recent massive increases in heating oil prices, I've been
wondering if there would be anything to gain from replacing my existing
Grant Multi Pass oil-fired boiler - now around eight years old - with a
newer model.

Go to:
http://www.sedbuk.com Go to oil boilers then refined search. Pick your
boiler and see what the efficiency is. It probably have drop a few percent.
Then look at the efficiency of the condensing boilers.

Work it out from there.

Many thanks for the tip.

From what I can gather, my current boiler is rated at a 'C', offering
around 85% efficiency - whereas current models are rated at 'A' which
equates to an efficiency of around 95%.

Would this 10% increase in efficiency offer me a straight 10% saving in
running costs - or is it (as I suspect), more complex than that? And
where does size (output) of the boiler enter the equation?

Heat lost from the boiler (and any conventional flue pipe) may still be useful
to you if it helps to keep your house warm!
I doubt that the boiler efficiency tables take this into account, and to that
extent I don't trust them.

Remember that condensing boilers produce condensate which needs to be disposed
of.

--

Michael Chare