SQLit

Default Gas or Electric?

"phaeton" wrote in message
ups.com...
I realize that the cost differences are regional, and it's up to me to
call up the local utilities and find out what the going rates are.
*however*, there are some things that may preclude cost, and
implementation matters too.

Might be buying a house that has a gas waterheater and a gas
boiler/baseboard system. Both appear to be fairly new- i.e. 5 years
maybe. The water heater is fine- if it ain't broke don't fix it.
However-

1) Would it be best to heat the house with the gas boiler, or would it
be best to shut it down completely and heat with small electric space
heaters? The house is bi-level, very open, about 1100 sq feet, no
basement, approximately 20 years old. This is South Central Wisconsin,
and we have real winters here (i.e. sustained temperatures between
8-20F for weeks at a time). Can you just "turn off" modern gas
boilers- i.e. no pilot light or anything?

Some boilers are pilotless, I sure wish they would do the same for hot water
heaters. Just why do you want to turn off the pilot in the winter time?
Every gas appliance I have seen has a local shut off valve.

http://www.hvacopcost.com/

http://www.wapa.gov/es/calc.htm

2) We will need to buy a stove for the house. I prefer cooking on gas.
The Missus prefers electric. Looks like they cost about the same, and
when you sit down to eat the end result is the same. In the long run,
which might be a better choice?

Gas ranges are always a few dollars more. Beats me. I prefer gas, mom like
electricity. I get the ones that are self cleaning as well. Long run? what
an open question? Cost of fuel, how much do you use the appliance?

3) We will need to buy a washer/dryer pair for the house. Once again-
gas dryer or electric? I have no opinion on this, personally. I think
the hookup is currently electric, but we may relocate them anyways.
Are the over/under combo units still inherently evil?

Gas dryer is the only way to fly, IMO. Better check the plug before you
buy an electric unit. Most older homes are 3 prong. New code has 4 prong.
Not to worry there should be instructions on how to convert the dryer to the
3 pronged plug. Again how much do you use it?

4) I like beer. Beer gives me gas. The Missus threatens to buy an
electric cattle prod to punish me for my efforts. Which will win- gas
or electric?

Please forward the link to the gas cattle prod.

Is gas considered enough of a hazard to where it's best to avoid it if
at all possible? Can multiple electric appliances require an update of
the fuse panel to something higher (i.e. from 100 or 130 to 200A)?

Conversion from gas to electric could drive you to a larger service. Sorry
it goes 100 amps, 200 amps then 400. I have not seen a 150 in a long time
so they might still be out there. The cost of the service and circuits
could run thousands of dollars.

Thanks for any replies.