phaeton

Default Gas or Electric?

Edwin Pawlowski said:

1) Would it be best to heat the house with the gas boiler, or would it
be best to shut it down completely and heat with small electric space
heaters?

No. I repeat. NO. In case you missed it NO, don't do it.

Don't do which? And why?

Electric is almost always cheaper to buy and more expensive to use. I
chose gas. In most cases the difference in cost will make gas the best
choice.

I see. Once again the location is up for grabs, so that might dictate
what we eventually end up with. It's just the two of us so it's not
like we will be doing 750 loads of laundry each week.

gas safety hazard

I'm actually more concerned with Carbon Monoxide than with the gas leak
itself- typically you know when you have a gas leak. With a C0 leak
you just lay down for a nap and don't wake up.

Btw, if I were to shut off the boiler I would leave it off- i
understand that heating/cooling constantly will wear it out.

Thx!