Edwin Pawlowski

Default Gas or Electric?

"phaeton" wrote in message

1) Would it be best to heat the house with the gas boiler, or would it
be best to shut it down completely and heat with small electric space
heaters?

No. I repeat. NO. In case you missed it NO, don't do it.

Can you just "turn off" modern gas
boilers- i.e. no pilot light or anything?

Yes, bu t you need t ofr h eat. In the summer, you can turn it off, pilot
and all if it has one. YOu do't want to turn it off and on every day in
mild weather though, as the repeated heating and cooling put stress on the
internal components.

2) We will need to buy a stove for the house. I prefer cooking on gas.
The Missus prefers electric. Looks like they cost about the same, and
when you sit down to eat the end result is the same. In the long run,
which might be a better choice?

Who does the majority of the cooking? We ditched electric and went to
propane becuase we really disliked electric cooking. YMMV. Gas is more
responsive, and you can toast marshmallow too!

3) We will need to buy a washer/dryer pair for the house. Once again-
gas dryer or electric?

In most cases, electric is still more expensive. I'd go with gas if I had
the option. Check local rates. Gas installation may cost more though.

4) I like beer. Beer gives me gas. The Missus threatens to buy an
electric cattle prod to punish me for my efforts. Which will win- gas
or electric?

Use a lighter and help heat the house. Wife can't complain on a cold day.

Is gas considered enough of a hazard to where it's best to avoid it if
at all possible?

Every year a house or two blows up from gas. Every year year many people are
killed by electric. I don't see any hazzard if proper use of the appliances
and general common sense are used.

Can multiple electric appliances require an update of
the fuse panel to something higher (i.e. from 100 or 130 to 200A)?

100A should get you by unless you go to electric heat or perhaps central AC.