jim rozen

Default Best way to remove rust from black oxide?

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

Do I have plans to paint the machine?

No, I do not. I can't get interested in spending that amount of time on
something that makes no difference, particularly when it might discourage me
from using the machine as intended, trying to avoid hurting the new paint
job. I take a realistic approach to my machines. Keep them well wiped
and oiled, and use them as intended. After all, they're machine tools, not
mantle pieces.

I don't mind having mantle pieces. But they're seldom the same as
machine tools.

This having been agreed on, I do confess to the sort of puttering in
my shop that would have somebody fired in a commercial shop. For
example, I've done things like made nicer lockscrews for the micrometer
collars on my 10L, and done them with Brownell's oxpho cold blue
solution to blacken them up.

Also the lock pin for the handlever collet closer - I didn't like the
cheesey one that came with the machine, so I reamed the holes one size
up and made a nicer pin with some fancy knurling on it. Again I
used the Oxpho to tool black it.

I use the machines enough that seeing crummy fittings just grates on
my nerves. My hardinge milling machine has definitely seen better days,
but it works ok. It came without knobs on the switches though.
I took the time to get replacements, with the circular ridge around
the outside like hardinge put on it originally.

But paint? Never really do touch the stuff. g

Jim

please reply to: