DeepDiver

Default Best way to remove rust from black oxide?

I've noticed, in my few years of following this group, that there are
those
that see their machines much as a teenager does (did) his car. I recall
all too well how important it was to keep it washed and vacuumed. White
floor mats and whitewall tires (does that date me, or what?) that were
spotless------and paint that never saw dust.

I don't treat my machines like museum pieces. However, I do care for them as
I do all my tools. A well-maintained machine performs better and keeps its
value longer.

When I first bought my import 9x20 lathe (my first "chip making" machine,
not counting hand tools or bench grinders), I stripped it down to the frame
(short of removing the head from the bed). One thing that concerned me was
the amount of casting sand and dross still stuck to the inside surfaces of
the bed iron. It seemed that sand was constantly sloughing off. I may not
have a lot of machine room experience, but the idea of mixing sand with
precision ways and tooling just didn't sit right with me. So I took my die
grinder and a few carbide and abrasive points, and ground off all the crud
from the rough inside surfaces of the bed. I removed over a cup of casting
sand and other waste. Then I painted the freshly bright surfaces with
POR-15. Yes it was a lot of work, but I feel it was worth it. Mind you, I
don't baby this machine. There are plenty of places where the factory blue
paint has been chipped or scratched, and even a section on the tailstock
where I removed some globbed-on bondo, exposing bare metal. I haven't gotten
around to touching up the paint. When I do use this machine, my cleanup is
mostly just sweeping/vacuuming up the chips and wiping down the bare metal
surfaces with an oily rag. I really don't mind signs of use: stray chips,
oily surfaces, imperfect paint, etc. But rust is something I can't stand.
Not only is it unsightly, but it is damaging. And it is perpetuating if not
stopped.

Now, when it comes to my precision instruments, that's a whole 'nuther
story. Those I keep pristine.

- Michael