Pop

Default How Long Of A Power Cord?

In general, long enough to reach an outlet in the most likely
places it will get used. Different tool family, different
lengths, most likely.
That -might- result in a re-think of the shop wiring: I've
found overhead outlets handy in the extreme. I use the conduit
type with the swinging ball joint at the ceiling box. Keep them
above head level and out of the way of wood movement though or
plan on tying them up out of the way. I put one purposely where
it'd be inthe way and then bungee'd it up out of the way - no
problem at all for the functionality I gained.
I also added two 25' reeled cords; also very handy.
Then I placed the Master switches in the shop just inside the
door to the laundry room - so I can know ALL power is off out
there without having to walk out. Painted all non-switched
outlets reddish orange, and added something noisy or that puts
out light to each one. Plus, a set of motion activated lights
to walk-thru on th eway to the garage.
I think I'm FINALLY read to start actually using my shop again
now! Wonder what I missed? Oh yeah, surface mount all wiring in
conduit; you won't be sorry down the road; made it real easy to
rewire a couple of things.

JM2C

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
: In about a month, I will be replacing a significant number of
power
: cords on a variety of metal and wood working machines.
:
: So how long of a cord should a person replace them with?
:
: It's a harder question to answer than at first glance. It's
like asking
: "How high should I build my workbench?"..it depends.
:
: Of course one should replace the cord so the new one reaches
the outlet
: but how much extra cord should one allow?
:
: Over the years, machines have come with a variety of lengths in
: relation to their power cords so just replacing it with what it
had may
: not be a good approach. When copper was expensive, the cords
got
: shorter to save costs. And over the years, cords are replaced
because
: of damage or old age.
:
: As a matter of good practice I will be installing wire adequate
for the
: currents needed, using grounded plugs, appropiate insulation
types but
: the simple question of "How Long?" is one I would like to have
your
: opinion on.
:
: Thanks in advance for suggestions.