John

Default Is it worth replacing CH boiler for more economical model...?

"Nige" wrote in message
With the recent massive increases in heating oil prices, I've been
wondering if there would be anything to gain from replacing my existing
Grant Multi Pass oil-fired boiler - now around eight years old - with a
newer model.

I'm not having any problems with the boiler (other than a few baffles
that needed replacing a couple of years back) - and it is regularly
serviced. But I do seem to be getting through a huge amount of oil,
which at almost three times the price it was a couple of years ago, is
no laughing matter.

I have replaced a couple of rads with larger units, but this has been
offset by an extensive program of pipe lagging since I moved into the
house and also the fitting of thermostatic valves on every rad.

It could well be that filling my tank at a cost of almost £900 means
I'm just noticing the running costs more than I did previously, but if
there are any significant fuel savings that could be made by replacing
the boiler, it wouldn't take that long to recoup the expense.

Are there any particular models of boiler known for being more econonic
to run? Has anyone had experience in this area?

Any advice would be gratefully receivedS

The service guy should be giving you report sheets with combustion analysis
figures. If you can quote these to give an idea of efficiency now it will be
possible to make an assessment.