Rex B

Default Best way to remove rust from black oxide?

Find some Evaporust.
Dissolves the rust, doesn't hurt finishes.
2 hours max.
Good stuff.

- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

DeepDiver wrote:
I recently acquired a face mill that has a glossy black oxide surface
finish. The mill is in excellent condition except that the previous owner
allowed it to develop some surface rust (mostly on the upper surfaces;
probably from sitting around uncovered on a shelf). The surface rust is like
freckles, with most very small, but some spots of 2-3mm dia. Naturally, the
black oxide finish on these upper surfaces (between the rust spots) is also
dull.

I was wondering if there is a way to remove the rust (or majority of rust)
without significantly damaging the black oxide. In the past, when I has some
surface rust on some black oxide impact sockets, I tried the following:

1. Green scotchbrite and kerosene.
2. Phosphoric acid.
3. Salt & vinegar bath.

All three methods removed the black oxide as well as the rust.

How about polishing? That will also remove the black oxide, but perhaps not
as much. Or is there an easy (and inexpensive) way to renew the finish?

- Michael