Jeff Gorman

Default How tight should drawers fit?

"Mark Wells" wrote:

I am confused about how tightly a drawer should fit. My recollection
of the Frank Klausz video is that he made them fit very tightly. He
would size the front and back to fit exactly and then once he assembled
the drawer, would plane it a little to make it fit. However, I'm
concerned the the wood will move, particularly in the height (depth of
a the drawer), and make the drawer too tight. Of course if you make
the drawer too short, it will tip out easily. Any advice out there?

I made a small chest of drawers for the shop and fit them as Klausz
suggested and they seem to work pretty well in all seasons, although
some are a little tight. My next project is a large chest of drawers
and I want the drawers to work well.

Mark raises an interesting dilemma in which constancy of local humidity must
be a factor.

However, as a matter of possible interest, I was taught that a perfectly
fitted drawer should tighten slightly as it is pulled out, offering a nice
challenge to the fastidious woodworker and reducing the chances of a
spillage.

Jeff G

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK