mrcheerful

Default How's this for DIY special?

"Clive Dive" wrote in message
news:f71a159d55f28548bfd7eb6f2d618741.115311@mygat e.mailgate.org...
Went to a job and needed to plug drill in [pre cordless days]. The
owner told me there was a spare way on a 4 gang extension lead in the
kitchen [alarm bells on standby]. True enough, 1 spare way, indicator
light on and washing machine chunnering away. NO LEAD CONNECTING 4 GANG
TO ANY WALL SOCKET!!! ALARM BELLS RING F.LOUDLY. I traced each wire
back to its respective appliance...guess what? The little tinker had
made up a flex with a plug top at each end and plugged one into a wall
socket and the other INTO the 4 gang...NICE!!

Told me that this was what he always did as he did not want to
invalidate any warranty by opening the 4 gang!!!!!!!! TO55ER! He
nearly invalidated me!

Thought I'd share that with you.

Oh! I cut the lead into 2" pieces in front of him and smashed the plug
tops with a big hammer, and sent an invoice for my wasted time.

Why not make it a requirement that some form of qualification is shown
before materials can be purchased? In its simplest form there is more
than one way to wire a plug top...but how many of these are correct?

My garage was powered like this when I moved in, only the 'sockets' were a
three way adapter with its live pins into a block of wood!!!

I agree it is dangerous, but you are lucky he didn't cut YOU into 2 inch
pieces, after using a large hammer on you, I know of people that would, with
less provocation.

mrcheerful