Paul Franklin

Default Bathroom Fan - Where to vent?

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 01:03:54 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

I am installing a bath fan. My house is a bungalow style. I like to vent it
out by the soffit just outside the bathroom; but I am not sure how I can get
a vent pipe thru to the soffit.
My other option is to run a vent pipe down the middle of the attic space to
the side of the house vent. This pipe will have to be about 22'. Would this
be too long of a run?

Thanks
D.

Soffit venting is not ideal because of the tendency for the warm,
moist air to get sucked back into the attic, but in your case might be
better than running the vent so far.

22' will reduce your air flow a lot, especially if you are using
insulated flexible duct. If your fan is oversized (say twice the
needed CFM) for the space it might be ok. If it gets cold where you
are you should use insulated duct to minimize condensation. Try to
pitch the vent so condensation drains out.

For such a long run, you might consider an inline fan (google fantech
inline fan) As a bonus, they are much quieter than even the best
ceiling mount fans. (but more $$ too).

HTH,

Paul