rvfulltime (was xenman)

Default Removing Wallpaper and Repainting

I've been that route before with other wall paper, but due to the nature
of the paper and how it was applied, I don't think that solution will work.

Thanks anyway.

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:39:53 -0500, Trekking Tom wrote:

Take some very coarse sandpaper and sand the wallpaper now get a
garden sprayer and some paper remover called DIFF. fill the sprayer
add a little diff and spray wait a bit and spray again repeat many
times. The paper should slide off the wall, hopefully before you
soften the drywall & mud. Repair walls as needed before painting or
papering again. The idea is to cut the waterproof layer so the water
you spray can penetrate and loosen the glue. If you have to scrape
over and over it's not wet enough yet. Close the door turn on the
steamy shower.

Tom

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:21:55 -0700, "rvfulltime (was xenman)"
wrote:

I'm starting to remove some old wallpaper in my bathroom of the condo I
bought several years ago. The age of the wallpaper is a mystery to me.
It apears to be an aluminum foil type of wallpaper. Quite shiney.

As I start to remove it, it appears that the paper is in two (or more) layers.
Not one wallpaper on top of another, but two layers for this wallpaper. In
other words the wallpaper is separating as I try to remove it. The top layer
is coming off fairly easily, but the bottom layer is firmly glued to the underlying
painted wall.

Here's my question... Do I need to remove that underlying paper layer or can
I paint right over the top of it? If I need to remove it, is a steamer (which I own)
the best tool to use? I removed a similar wallpaper from the kitchen when I
bought the condo and it came off quite easily, but there was another layer of
wallpaper under it, which needed a steamer to remove.

No email please.