Default Door Casing for Arches

Key Bored wrote:
Hi All,

I need to curve some door trim and molding to fit an opening with an arched
top. The arch is the eyebrow type and has a radius of about 20". The
finish door opening is 32" wide. The molding is the standard colonial
design, about 2-1/4" wide by 3/4" thick. The trim for the door opening is
4-1/2" wide by 3/4" thick, and the door stop is 1-1/4" wide by 1/4" thick.
I want to use MDF stock.

What are some methods to fit the door frame and casing to the arch? Should
I make a series of cross cuts (but not all the way through) so that the
stock will bend, and then spackle and sand? Or should I rip the stock into
thin strips, bend them on a form, and glue together? Other ideas???

Thanx,
Key Bored

If you cut most of the way through solid timber it can be bent so that
the cuts open and you get a solid timber surface on the inside edge of
the arch. The trim should cover the edge so you do not need to fill. I
have had no luck trying to bend MDF by this method. Plywood works well
if you get the surface ply running along the arch.

For the trim the only way I have seen that seemed to get a good result
was to cut a solid piece to the shape of the arch and route the profile
in it.