PipeDown

Default How to Cut Bathroom Wash Basin?

Try the diamond saw you have first, make a practice cut 1" from the edge,
you may not need to sandwich it. Try the practice cut from the top and
bottom to see what is cleaner.

Sounds like you have a composite sink (basically epoxy and color fillers).
Any toothed blade might make a mess but you do have some room to practice
and test your method.

"Jack CC" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:13:28 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I bought it from our local Habitat Store,
it's new and unused. They could not tell anything about it and
HD are not that helpful either.

From what I can gather, it look very likely some kind of white
cement as it's heavy and definitely not fiberglass, UHMW,
plastic or man made material. The basin back surfaces is
rough with small pitted holes. I am thinking of cutting it with
a diamond masonry 7" circular saw, sandwich both side with
plywood to prevent tearing. How does it sound to you?
Or I could buy a carbides saw, if so how many teeth should I buy?

Thanks again

"Jack CC" wrote in message

My new bathroom wash basin is too long and I like to cut 1-1/2" off
from both ends. If I use a circular saw, what type of saw (Numbers
teeth)
should I use. I believe the basin is made of white "cement" and not
plastic
or fiberglass, with a thin top coat of transparent plastic.

Find out what it is really made from first. Wrong material and blade
combo
can make a mess. In general, the more teeth the finer the cut.