Banty

Default painting interior of a new house

In article .com, No says...

jIM - First thing to consider. New construction will likely have nail
pops over the course of the next year. They will be less likely if your
house never got rained on while being built but you will still have
some. In my new house, the builder repaired them at the 1 year
anniversary but, as per our contract, only finished with the builders
white. If we had painted we would then need to re-paint the repaired
areas. Just a consideration.

Second - use a good quality paint. I have had good results with
Pittsburgh Paint (Manor Hall), Benjamin Moore and MAB. I have had bad
results from Sherwin Williams and VERY VERY bad results from home
despots store brand Behr. The Behr in light lavender could not cover a
very light yellow without THREE coats.

As for primer - Generally a primer is not needed. Its sometimes used
when the color change is dramatic. You paint supplier, if they're good,
will be able to tell you if you would want to use one or not. This will
vary based upon the color used. Some colors are more likely to need a
primer. Over white though, with a good paint, I probably wouldn't worry
about it with any color.

As to your color choices. Wouldn't be my choices but its your house.

So - One coat for each room, no primer. Should be doable with best
paint. Your darkest colors may require a second coat. Your Cranberry
wall and black chair rail will be your likely candidates for 2 coats.

For many of these colors I would take advantage (OK, it's expensive, but the
labor savings do count) of the samples that Ben Moore, and possibly other,
manufacturers offer. Put up a good 2x2 foot patch of your intended color or a
couple of choices. Look at it for a week. In the morning. In the evening. At
noon. At night with the lights on.

Reds can be too dark or too pinkish, browns and tans can be muddy, yellows can
be too bright or too orangey. Or, all of these can be great. But these really
strong colors you like can be hard to live with if they don't work just right
with the environs and lighting.

Banty