billh

Default grinders - sharpening - Sourwood

"Tom Nie" wrote in message
Why would I spend the extra $ to get a variable speed grinder?

What's the performance difference of 1725rpm versus 3450rpm?

Ellsworth recommends 100 grit white wheels. Agree?

What's your feelings about Sourwood trees?

Thanks
TomNie

I have a 1725 rpm grinder and if it should die I'd replace it with a regular
3450 rpm. I use 6" wheels and don't mind them but 8" seems to be considered
the better. You have to have a good touch since you can overheat the tool no
matter what you use if you are rough. I would consider 100 grit to be the
finest I'd ever want and right now I am using a 60 and a 80 and find the 80
to be fine enough.

FWIW, I used to freehand grind my tools and wasn't too bad at it. I bought a
Oneway Varigrind jig and use it all the time now. Consistent results and I
am sure I remove a lot less metal.

Don't get too uptight about lathe tool sharpeing there are lots of ways to
skin the cat and if something works for you then just do it.

Bill