Owen Lowe

Default Wooden Lathe Stand

In article ,
Greg wrote:

Constructed of SYP, it is 52" long, 32" tall - this puts the spindle
centerline right at my elbow. The major members are 3 1/4" x 2 3/4".
The 'bed' is 3 1/4" x 8 1/4" x 52" and quite substantial. Dowels,
screws and carriage bolts fasten it together. It is/will be quite
heavy! (I've already constructed the 'bed' and leg assemblies.)
The lathe will, of course, be bolted to the 'bed'.

This is a picture of the general concept:

http://www.thevideodoc.com/Images/LatheStandP01.jpg

That's a nice looking stand. As far as sizing the length, I'd recommend
placing the left side of the lathe about 1' from the left end of the
stand. That way you won't be kicking or straddling the left leg. It also
gives a small area to act as a temporary shelf for a chuck, sand paper
or part to a turning.

I built the Tiedman stand for my Delta midi. It's certainly not very
pretty but it's worked very well for all my turning.

http://www.kestrelcreek.com/toc.htm?id=19&cat=tech

Here's another idea that you might review for further ideas and
considerations:

http://www.kestrelcreek.com/toc.htm?id=2&cat=photo%20tech

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Pour your end-grain sealer into a clean, wide-mouth
clothes detergent bottle. The lid makes a handy dipping container for
your brush and the leftovers will drain back into the bottle when you
recap the jug.