Larry Blanchard

Default How tight should drawers fit?

Mark Wells wrote:
I am confused about how tightly a drawer should fit. My recollection
of the Frank Klausz video is that he made them fit very tightly. He
would size the front and back to fit exactly and then once he
assembled the drawer, would plane it a little to make it fit.
However, I'm concerned the the wood will move, particularly in the
height (depth of a the drawer), and make the drawer too tight. Of
course if you make the drawer too short, it will tip out easily. Any
advice out there?

When I get really lucky, I can make drawers that, when closed, force
another drawer open from air presure. And that's allowing a little
clearance in the height. I love it when a plan comes together :-).

Mine have never stuck, but if yours do, just get out the plane and do a
little modification.