Eric R Snow

Default 1960's Mattel Injector - resin used?

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:01:16 GMT, Billy Hiebert
wrote:

Mike Henry wrote:
I just picked up a Mattel Injector toy injection molding machine. Does
anyone have any idea what plastic resin was used in these? Google hasn't
turned up much so far.

Mike

The resin used for the Mattel molder was of course sold by Mattel as a
refill and is probably not available. It was a very low melting point
material more like wax or sort of in between wax and plastic. An item
called "Friendly Plastic" by Amaco® would probably work, as it softens
in hot water; quite expensive however. I've seen it and other brands on
ebay, so you might do a search. It is also available through some craft
suppliers. A low density polyethylene might also work as it molds very
easily with minimum heat and pressure. Some jewelry waxes would also
work but are not very durable.

Good luck,

My brother had some of this wax/plastic mix when I was a little kid.
It was weird enough compared to either wax or plastic that even a 7
year old (me) could figure out it wasn't either but a combo of the
two. It was very weak compared to styrene but stronger than wax.
ERS