Bob

Default Electrical Line Noise and Home Theater

Hi,

I have a vertical line crossing my TV screen that's fairly visible
during darker scenes of a movie. I think it's static or noise on my
electrical line, because when I unplug my satellite receiver, the line
goes away.

I read up on this on the net and it appears that a good powerbar/surge
protector with proper noise filtering features should do the trick.

In my shopping, I have come across the following options, an APC
SurgeArrest 11 plug power bar, that "absorbs line static, noise and
small spikes, EMI/RFI Noise rejection (100 kHz to 10 mHz): 60 dB" for
$22 at Costco or the Monster HT800 that features their "Clean Power"
solution for $139.

APC product: http://www.epinions.com/content_163150335620
Monster clean power: http://www.monstercable.com/power/
Go to - Clean Power Flash Module

Now my obvious question, should I spend the extra bucks on the Monster
solution if in the end it does the exact same thing (give or take) as
the 1/5th the price APC product? I can't find any further literature
on the Clean Power thing, but I'm wondering if it just does the same
filtering, maybe a bit better, then the APC one and they're simply
giving it a jazzy name, fancier package and selling it for a whole lot
more? Will I really see a difference in terms of video/audio quality
between the two?

By the way, I know this isn't a home theater newsgroup, but I figured
the folks on this NG would know more about home wiring, electrical
questions, etc. and that you would be less fanatic about your home
theater solutions then in the specialized newsgroups where they will
most certainly tell me to get the more expensive product.