Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Default Orange hospital oulets

Michael Daly ) said...

That's interesting - thanks for the info. Does that mean that the mounting
yoke and box are separately grounded or are they not grounded?

I've only noticed orange outlets in computer environments and only for
outlets guaranteed to have power in a blackout - that's what I always
thought the colour meant. Now I know better.

The yoke and the mounting screws are grounded through the box's normal
ground connection, but there is an extra INSULATED grounding conductor
that connects to the ground screw on the outlet to provide the ground
for the grounding pin.

This insulated grounding conductor provides a direct connection to the
grounding point in the distribution panel, so nothing else shares the
path back as would be the case with the "normal" grounding conductor.

In an environment I used to work in, it was common practice to wire the
orange outlets with 14/3 cable. The white and black were wired to the
outlet as usual, and the bare conductor was wired to the box as usual.
The red conductor was the isolated ground and was wired to the ground
screw on the outlet.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon