Arch

Default Wooden Lathe Stand

Hi Greg, Congratulations on your very nice project. You are a good
craftsman. Proper design and weight for any lathe stand is never a bad
idea. I offer some alternate considerations that don't apply to your
present turning.

I have a larger lathe for heavy work and I use my mini for mini turning
so mobility and portability are important to me. Actually, I leave my
mini standing forlorn free & unbound on its little rubber feet.

I prefer a stand with a rectangular foot print so the lathe bed can be
on the edge of the top and I'm not 'boxed' in by the legs. A rectangular
top allows for _temporarily keeping tools, abrasives etc. for the job at
hand. If the bed is raised on blocks there is _temporary storage space
under the bed and shavings can be easily swept off or dropped thru a
slot beneath the lathe.

Sloppy, lazy and stingy craftsmen like me, can find end tables, lamp
stands plus other furniture and cabinets that are sturdy, well built and
have storage space at 'Ken Vaughn's thrift stores'. Hospital and school
auxillary thrifts are special because they often have discarded older
high quality steel desks, tables, cabinets etc. Older heavy typewriter
and TV stands, used mechanic's tool stands, and the like are often found
at Ken's store.

Sturdy lathe stands are easily made from stacked concrete blocks with
holding bolts fixed with redimix.

Sorry Greg, I got carried away. Just use your own stand safely and have
fun.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter