Gunner Asch

Default My rolling garage sale...

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:12:32 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

If he laid hands on you he commited assault. You should have called
the Police and filed a report. If this is the guys normal pattern of
operation, the cops get wise about it eventually and will do something
about it in most jurisdictions. What is he going to do, ban you from
a public venue?

Boy, truth is stranger than fiction. That's great advertising
material he's writing for himself there! "Come to the Visalia
machinists show, where if the Owner of the show thinks he's being
cheated out of a few bucks on a private party sale held outside the
show, he'll rough you up to get it!" Hell, with a description like
that, I'd be first in line... NOT.

I realize there are two sides to every story, but he's going to have
to work to top that one.

-- Bruce --

Last year, I rented table space (no commissions paid when you rent
table space) and this year I went the commission route as I had much
less Stuff to sell (poor planning and a busy work schedule on my part)

I arrived about the same time as the "event" the OP talked about..and
the show owner was a bit tense. He may have, in one case, gone off
half cocked. Lots of machines were being transered in the parking lot,
the parking lot having been a handy place for parties to meet and
deliver items sold long long before the show. He is indeed a big old
boy..but I never felt anything of a threatening nature about him, and
I was around him for two days. And I tend to be rather sensitive
about such things...

When a buyer is in San Jose..and the seller is in San Diego..and they
know they are going to meet at the Show...its a natural and saves
shipping costs.

Shrug...I suspect the promoters may..may have broken even..maybe. Not
because of any bad feelings, yada yada... but because there were not
much in sales. Few people were buying anything of any big dollar
value, hence I suspect the commissions used to pay for the shows
expenses were pretty small.
Attendence was, to my eyes..very light compared to the two previous
years. Which means attendence fee incomes, also were small.

I sold very little..went home with much the same stuff I came with.
Shrug..except that Lorch lathe that had been paid for a year ago was
picked up by the owner (we managed to shoehorn it into a Volvo station
wagon...lol).

I advised the show owner of the deal, in full detail and he had no
problem with it. I also sold a big belt sander right off my truck,
before it made it inside, and had the consideration to advise the show
owner and pay the commission, even though technically I suppose I
didnt have to, but the show expenses had to be paid.

I also volunteered to stay behind and do a lot of the show
breakdown..I broke down all the pipe air lines, used my truck to tow
the trailer mounted air compressor back to the rental place..etc etc.
Seems like most folks simply packed up and boggied rather than
offering to lend a hand.

Based on my expenses..I just about broke even, but did get to see some
neat stuff and get the wife out of the house for two days. Shrug..so
thats worth something.

I personally think that that was the last Visalia show. But I also
know that a number of people are very interested in keeping "The Show"
going, and plans will be made to reevaluate where, when, how and so
forth, and it will be an ongoing thing in the future. Bigger and
better.

As to previous comments made in this thread..there are indeed more
than one side to this story..and it hasnt been told. Nor is it my
place to do so. But..the owner wasnt quite the bad guy he was made
out to be. Shrug. As is obvious..there were more than one temper
tantrum thrown.

And if a person wants to go see " lots of new stuff"..I suggest you go
to Westec, or other commercial venues, not a meeting of hobbiests and
those that cater to them. It costs a huge amount of money to travel
across the country with your displays and wares, and some cant afford
to do so in a location that will not pay for their expenses to do so.
A bigger turnout last year would have encouraged more dealers to show
up.

As other attendees get home, Im sure that they will also have some
insights to post here.

Gunner, just giving his $0.02USD opinion.

for torturing the cat." Gunner