Default repair horizontal foundation crack

so how high are these walls (from basement floor to first)? and how
thick is the CMU (cinder block wall) cause the crack sure sounds
like its the result of a bending failure in the wall.

From floor to 1st floor is almost 8 feet. The walls are standard 8"

cinder block.The soil is clay.

I agree, the horizontal crack was probably caused by hydrostatic
pressure or frozen ground swell above the frost line.

the contractor wanted to "install grip-tite style wall anchors." what are they?

Here is an example, except in my case there is no sign of buckling:

http://www.anchoredwalls.com/digout.html

I'm just wondering if I have to take this drastic action. Or if there
is
something less costly.