O.B.

Default Maytag dryer hums, not spinning

ohaya wrote:
Hi,

We have a front loading Maytag Performa clothes dryer (PYE2000AYH), and
we noticed that tonight that when we try to use it with a normal load,
it hums, but it won't spin. I can turn the drum by hand (with some
difficulty), but only one way, and the light inside turns on when the
door is open (i.e., the house circuit breaker didn't trip).

When we left it off for awhile, and then took all the clothes out, we
could get it to spin for a short while, but then when we put in a very
small load, it would not spin (but hums). Plus, we couldn't get the
control knob to stay pushed in with the clothes inside. Shortly after
that, when we push in the control know, nothing happens (I think there
must be something detecting that the motor is not turning?).

I did some searching, and I thought that the front panel could be
removed so that we check inside to see if anything was jammed. There
are two screws on the front after you open the front door. I removed
those, but couldn't get the front cover to budge ...

Can anyone tell me:

1) How to remove the front cover so we can check inside, and

2) What might be causing the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

The only problem I have had with dryers are broken belts. Your symptoms
line up with this problem.

It is a very simple repair. On Maytag models, remove the two screws on the
front of the dryer (about 6" above the ground). There are two retaining
clips under the lid; pull down and away from the dryer to remove the door.