Larry Jaques

Default A Little Dab will Do Ya? Use More Only if I Dare?

On 23 Oct 2005 09:55:04 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Mike in
Arkansas" quickly quoth:

Getting ready to wax some samples of oak I fumed in household ammonia.
Half the samples finished with a coat of 1 pound shellac and then 3
coats of Waterlox oringial. Same Waterlox on the other halb but
without the shallac sealer coat. I have some Briwax original I am
going to add artists oil color to to make it black. My question is how
mouch of the color do I add perchetage wise to the wax? A little dab
to just render it black or would the finish benefit from a higher
colorant ratio.

Are you going to use a double boiler to melt the wax down to mix it?
Careful, the solvents are flammable.

Try mixing a bit, letting it cool, and trying it on scrap samples.
Um, you DID make extra samples to try out different finishes, right?
g Then add more if needed. Better yet, keep the original Briwax
for light woods and buy a can of black Briwax (dark, whatever) for
dark woods. $10-15 worth of wax goes a long, long way.

I am assuming that when my finishing reference discuss
finishing with black wax they are refering to a paste wax and not some
kind of a hard wax that is rubbed into the wood grain. Thanks

Right, dark Briwax for dark woods, etc. I prefer to have my pores
open, so I'd use the dark wax and a stiff boot brush to remove it from
the pores. Others prefer to fill their pores with filler for a
smoother finish. My question to them is always "Then why'd you start
with a rough and textured wood?" because filling pores removes the
lovely highlighting that empty pores provide with almost all lighting.
YMMV.

So, what look are you aiming for, Mike?

--
Strong like ox, smart like tractor.