michael

Default Making or acquiring a 26mm end mill holder?

DeepDiver wrote:
"Ned Simmons" wrote in message

In article , no-
says...

I happen to have a nice Nikken metric boring head that was designed to
fit a
26mm BT-flange holder. This boring head has a 26mm dia x 26mm straight
cylindrical shank with two radial holes at 90-deg to accept locking set
screws or pins.

Of course, my mill doesn't have a BT spindle; it has an R8 spindle. So my
idea was to use an end mill holder as an adapter for this boring head.

It'd be a lot easier to turn the shank down to 1" to fit an
end mill holder, or 3/4" to fit an R8 collet, than to bore
the holder.

I realize that's an option. But I am opposed to cutting or grinding the
shank on this beautiful precision tool, not so much for practical reasons,
than on principle. The way I look at it, an adapter is a consumable part
that is subject to change over time (as a tool migrates from machine to
machine, or as the adapter wears). So it makes more sense to me to modify
the adapter than it does to modify the tool.

- Michael

Lyndex-Nikken has R8 1.25 end mill holders, standard and stub. How about
getting one and making a bushing? Maybe you can get a different shank
for the head, unless it is integral. I would probably turn it down myself.

michael