John

Default Fitting Bi-fold doors - help (long)

I do many things DIY but joinery isn't one of them so I got a joiner in to
fit two sets of bi-fold doors for us, which he fitted by hinging (sp?) the
doors on the side just as you would do with any other door.

I have to admit that I didn't realize that this was "wrong" as we've never
had bi-fold doors before but when I went into a neighbour's house recently,
their bi-fold doors ran in a track along the top of the opening and a sort
of pivot at the top and bottom of the door at the "fixed" side (iyswim). My
wife then rang a friend and found out that hers also ran in a track.

I went to a local timber place to look at the doors they had on display and
they were all in tracks too and the guy said that that was the correct way
to fit them - any joiner should know that, he said - and it should only take
about 20-30 minutes to fit. So, I bought the track and diplomatically
suggested to the joiner [1] that perhaps he may have done it wrong and would
he please fit the doors on the track.

Next thing, he's ringing us saying that it took him *3 hours* to fit (at
£10/hour, mind you), the track needed "opening out a bit and oiling" before
it would work smoothly. And, of course, the doors now have "cut-outs" where
he located the hinges, that he shouldn't have fitted in the first place, and
has now removed.

It's not the first mistake either. He botched up some skirting and we had to
tell him it was unacceptable. He didn't seem too bothered when we asked him
to change it - he just cheerily said "OK" and got on with it. But there's
more work to do and therein lies the problem.

Explanation of [1] - I've known the joiners dad for 25 years and he's a good
friend of mine. He's done good work in his dad's house, so that was good
enough for me. Trouble now is that if I complain or fire him off (which I
feel like doing), that's going to cause hassle between me and his dad and I
don't want that.

What would you do?

TIA,
John.