Never Enough Money

Default New Lie-Nielsen and Lee Valley Catalogs...

I've got a couple of Steve Knight planes I love, too.

Morris Dovey wrote:
Toller (in ) said:

|| My Lie-Nielsen planes and chisels are a source of pride. So are my
|| Veritas planes.
| Why? You didn't make them.
| I am not trying to be argumentative, but I don't understand why
| something that anyone could buy would be a source of pride.
| Possibly you have pride in what you can do with them, but couldn't
| you have the same pride in what you can do with a garage sale
| Bailey? (Can you, in fact, do more with them than a garage sale
| Bailey? I almost think that a bailey that required a certain
| amount of skill to clean, tune, and sharpen would be more worthy of
| pride; but maybe I just don't get it.)

I can see (and do resonate with) both perspectives. I work to be proud
of what I make (and, by and large, I am). I also have tools of which
I'm proud because I recognize that same effort put forth by others.
There's one particular Steve Knight plane in which I take pride even
though I've never been close enough to touch it.

And some few tools manage to transcend utility - they're good art.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar