Lurch

Default No patch panel

On 22 Oct 2005 16:27:29 -0700, "dale"
scrawled:

So... here's the sp. I've bought a house and all the rooms have Cat 5
cable already in place. The wall sockets are labelled 568B on the
inside and, in order, the wire pairs are BLUE/ORANGE/GREEN/BROWN.

That's wrong, the wires go;

1 - OR\WHT
2 - OR
3 - GRN\WHT
4 - BLUE
5 - BLUE\WHT
6 - GREEN
7 - BRN\WHT
8 - BRN

Wiring them in sequential 'pairs' is neither TIA568A or 'B so that's
why neither work.

All
the cable runs go back to the attic but the previous owner has removed
the patch panel and so all the cables are now unterminated. I believe
that ethernet uses the 2nd and 3rd wire pairs so, for 568B, pins 1,2,3
and 6 should be w/o,o,w/g and g. Pins 4,5,7 and 8 should be
bl,w/bl,w/br and br.

You've lost me on that bit, TIA568B ethernet cabling uses pairs 1 and
2, which is ORANGE amd GREEN.

I'm cheap and I don't want to pay for a new patch panel.

Your problem, not mine. My patch panel works superbly, along with
the voice panel, rack and switch.

What I want to do is simply attach RJ45 plugs to the unterminated ends
and plug them into a cheap switch but... if I wire the plug to either
the 568B or 568A pattern it fails. I know that the switch is sound as
I've tested it working using cables I made up - which also suggests I'm
using the crimps correctly - so what am I doing wrong?

Ask Geoff, apparently it's so simple anyone can do it without needing
to know what they're doing. Either his theory is wrong or you're
really really thick. Chances are, it's not as easy as everyone seems
to think.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group