Default Can an HDTV be fixed at home?

I think I'll buy a (plasma) HDTV soon.

I have fixed my 20-year old Panasonic several times over its lifetime
(typically
capacitors, etc.that I've learned about here), but will I be able to fix an
HDTV?

I'm competant with scopes, DVMs, soldering and the like but if new TVs are
made like the computers I work on, the repair philosophy is "replace the
board"
and my experience is not valuable then.

What do shops do now? Do they just replace the defective board like a
computer
motherboard or troubleshoot the problem to the part? Are the devices
surface
mounted that prohibits their replacement or can devices be easily replaced?

I typically don't take the "extended warranties" but in this case, is it
worth it?

Finally, do you think I would be able to buy service info like I got for my
Panasonic?

It's a different (service) world these days.

TIA
Mike