Pete Keillor

Default Drill Chuck Arbors

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 18:53:15 -0500, "gfulton"
wrote:

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"tillius" (clip) Maybe someone else could use them. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What ATP told you is correct, but not complete. Most lathes also use a
Morse tapr in both the headstock and tailstock, so these could be used to
mount a Jacobs chuck on your lathe, if you have one. If, as you say, you
are a beginning metal worker, there could be a lathe in your future, so

you
might consider keeping them.

If you really want to get rid of them, I'll pay your cost, plus your
shipping, plus whatever shipping would be to get them to me.

BTW, I am not a machinist--I am a woodturner. These same tapers are

widely
used on wood lathes, if that info is of any use to you.

As another newbie, I'm confused by the above. I thought lathes used the
Morse tapers in the tailstock only and tapers like the 5C, etc. in the
headstock. Wouldn't a Morse taper be too small for any collet work in the
headstock?

Garrett Fulton

Some have 5C, like Hardinges. More have 4-1/2MT or 5MT, or
adaptations of those, which are plenty big enough. Mine has a
modified 4-1/2MT, and uses an adapter to convert to 5C. This is
common. Adapters are readily available from Royal for lots of tapers.
In order to use 5C collets, you need a spindle bore at least about
1-3/8", a closer which fits through the spindle bore and engages the
external threads on a 5C collet, the adapter from your spindle taper
to 5C, and the collets.

Normally, Jacobs chucks would be used in the tailstock.

Pete Keillor