DanG

Default Garage door won't go down smooth

There should be a release mechanism on your opener, an arm right
where it attaches to the door, with a red pull string typically.
Release the operator. If you can raise and lower the door (yes,
that's how we old folks used to do it before operators) with out
binding or problems, the noise and hassle are in the operator. If
you cannot raise and lower the door, the problem is in the torsion
spring. The very fact that you had to ask tells me that you
should NOT touch the torsion spring. They have a lot of energy
stored in them and can seriously hurt you if you don't know what
you're doing.

If the problem is not in the door, perhaps running the operator
through its cycle without the door attached will let you diagnose
the problem.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I have a torsion spring garage door. A few days ago, the door
would
not close and would make a grinding noise. I noticed that one
of the
rollers was missing at the top of the door. After replacing the
roller, the door rises smoothly, but when it is being let down,
I still
hear the grinding noise and there appears to be quite a bit of
tension
on the arm that extends from the track to the base of the opener
unit.
It does go down, but something is not right.

The door itself is quite heavy, as it's a 2-car garage and the
door is
wood.

Does this sound like a track cleaning issue or something simple
that I
can adjust on the unit, or does it sound more involved than
that?

I can email a short mpg from my digital camera if it would help.

Thanks,
Dave