Duane Bozarth

Default Garage door won't go down smooth

wrote:

Hello,
I have a torsion spring garage door. A few days ago, the door would
not close and would make a grinding noise. I noticed that one of the
rollers was missing at the top of the door. After replacing the
roller, the door rises smoothly, but when it is being let down, I still
hear the grinding noise and there appears to be quite a bit of tension
on the arm that extends from the track to the base of the opener unit.
It does go down, but something is not right.

The door itself is quite heavy, as it's a 2-car garage and the door is
wood.

Does this sound like a track cleaning issue or something simple that I
can adjust on the unit, or does it sound more involved than that?

No, yes...

Many double-wide doors actually have two springs rather than just
one...possibly one is broken leading to a mismatch/alignment problem of
which the noise is just a symptom. Also possible that the roller failed
independently but something has gotten out of whack owing to the
problem. If you can't tell what is binding, probably need an
experienced door mechanic to diagnose/fix the problem.