Edwin Pawlowski

Default Desktop construction question

"Dave" wrote in message
news:h0v6f.456515$x96.208138@attbi_s72...
The original plan calls for a solid oak top with 1 1/2" thick edges.
However, to save money I was planning on using 3/4" oak plywood and
breadboard the edges with 3/4" doubled up oak boards to stiffen the edges
up. I guess my question is, is it satisfactory to do this or should I go
ahead and bite the bullet and use the solid boards?

IMO, the solid boards will give a much better looking desk over time. What
is more important to you, a desk that will last 100 years and stilllook
pretty or one that works but saves a few bucks? Neither one is wrong. I
don't think you have to double up the boards though, just make a nice 1 1/2"
trim for the edges.

The size of the top is
going to be 32 to 36" wide and about 60 to 65" long. I was concerned as
how it would look when I applied the light stain and poly finish to it. I
am building Norm's computer desk. Thanks for your suggestions.

If most of the people here were to look at the desk, we'd know it was
plywood. Most others would never know the difference. In any case, it is
many times better than vinyl covered mdf from Staples.