Dave

Default Desktop construction question

The original plan calls for a solid oak top with 1 1/2" thick edges.
However, to save money I was planning on using 3/4" oak plywood and
breadboard the edges with 3/4" doubled up oak boards to stiffen the edges
up. I guess my question is, is it satisfactory to do this or should I go
ahead and bite the bullet and use the solid boards? The size of the top is
going to be 32 to 36" wide and about 60 to 65" long. I was concerned as to
how it would look when I applied the light stain and poly finish to it. I
am building Norm's computer desk. Thanks for your suggestions.