Jamie

Default Pulling large wire in conduit

DaveC wrote:

Thus spake Hugh Prescott:

No code book in front of me tonight but I think your conduit is too small
for four # 1 wires for normal power feeds. It's not just wire size that
counts you have to consider current in conductor and heating.

Four 90 degree bends (electricial sweeps) are the limit I think.

Do you need to use lubricant to pull, If I am helping you will use
lubricant, if you pull it's your choice.

I would use a steel cable as a fish tape and a comealong to pull it.

I ended up using 2 90 degree sweeps and two inspection boxes (90's as well).
Used fish tape to pull nylon rope which was used to pull the wires.

Man, is it hard work. It's not a big job, but no come-along, just two
inexperienced guys huffing and puffing.

An inspection box is an asymmetric item. Pulling the wires into the box in
the longitudinal direction was relatively easy; feeding them back into the
"exit" that is 90 degrees to the body was problematic (especially the last 18
inches, or so). How does one do that last bit of wire so that you don't end
up with a twisted knot of wires that won't fit in the box?

1-1/2 EMT is sufficient for four (one is ground) #1 conductors (NEC tables
referenced).

Thanks for all your help, guys. Mission accomplished.

it's no problem putting them back in , you simply have the Access Elbow
loose, side the wires through and then in the other pipe. after that you
just sit the elbow on the pipe ends and position the pipe with
wires already inside.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5