Tom Nie

Default Punky Wood

Martin,

One of the guys at Carolina Mountain Woodturners took that kind of tree and
turned the outside with the cavity retained and a "see-thru" kind of "bowl".
Wild look. Hear he took it to the Kansas City symposium. Saw another one
this past weekend and he said it's the last of the wood.

TomNie

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
Be careful if a tree has a hole - I had an oak that was 45' tall and 4' or
so in
size at 4'. It had been in a fire or two and was doing ok but not a
glory tree.
Cutting ivy off the back going through that part of the forest I owned I
spotted
a hole. I was about to take the tree down myself so it wouldn't fall
oddly.

A storm took it - in the wrong direction. It cracked half the way up
where
the 220 line came across my property. The top went over the line but that
was
just part of it. Half the tree was hollow. Not much good for anything
but a
fire.

A small amount went to turning. Limbs.
Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Derek Andrews wrote:
Kevin wrote:

I have almost run out of my current stock of Maple. However a neighbor
bequeathed to me a rather large chunk of the same wood. The size is
about
24" diam. & 40" high. I did notice that it had a goodly amount of
various
mushrooms and fungi growing on it. Now I understand that this may well
indicate a really winderful level of spalting on the inside. OTOH, it
may
indicate I have a large chunk of punky wood;

The best way to find out is to go at it with a chainsaw. Or you could try
sticking something pointed into the end of the log and seeing how bad
that is, but the middle of the log is likely to be the soundest.

I have had good luck treating moderately punky wood with acrylic floor
polish. Rough out the piece first to reduce volume, then soak the piece
in a jar of the stuff or whatever is large enough. Leave it long enough
to dry / harden before turning. Finished ok with danish oil. I tend to
reserve this type of material for weedpots which don't need to be
terribly strong.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----