Tom Nie

Default Black Walnut Branch - Sometimes You Get Lucky

Owen,

Logger just dropped two Black Walnuts on my property line!!! They're mine
now!

Breaking my heart to see all the wood on the ground. I want this one - wait,
that one too - wow, look at that one - etc. etc.

Do you know anything about Sourwood? Got a chance to get some. The leaves
are beautiful in the fall but the trunks go every which way. I'm wondering
what the grain's like.

TomNie

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
In article ,
charlie b wrote:

The problem is that branches seldom grow nice and
straight and growth rings perfectly symetric around the pith.

I could be mistaken, but...

I don't believe branches can exist above a certain diameter with the
pith centered. The weight of the branch dictates that the growth will be
thicker on the bottom-side than the top to support it.

BTW, I very much like Black Walnut - one of my favorites and will always
hoard it when I can.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Pour your end-grain sealer into a clean, wide-mouth
clothes detergent bottle. The lid makes a handy dipping container for
your brush and the leftovers will drain back into the bottle when you
recap the jug.