CW

Default Wixey Digital Readout For Planer

There are a couple of ways to do this without buying somthing like this. The
easyest is to put a graduated dial around the hieght adjustment shaft.
Another would be to mount a dial indicator with adjustable stop. Bothe
require a test cut for calibration but once done, you can dial in what you
want.
"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
On 21 Oct 2005 17:27:30 -0700, wrote:

... snip
installed battery was dead so I installed the new
one. Unfortunately, there's plenty of play in the
unit and it's not because of any installation error.
There's a sliding scale that slides up and down in
the mounting frame as you raise and lower the head
of the planer. The scale also slides through the
electronic readout box. The scale has room for about
an 1/8" of side to side play in the mounting frame
and as I wiggle it the electronic readout will change
about .005". This same sliding scale is used to measure
the thickness of a piece of wood. Hard to describe
but if you look at the website you'll see what I mean.
Calibrating the unit is very simple with no real room
for error. Unfortunately, after running numerous test
pieces through the planer, changing the settings and
testing for repeatability it usually shows about
1/64" in variance. Usually it was under by about 1/64"
but not every time. 1/64" equals about .015". That
doesn't work for the projects I make. The reason I

... more snip

Bruce,

Thanks for the review; I've been weighing getting something like
this, your review was quite helpful, guess I'll look elsewhere.

-----+

-----+