Larry Jaques

Default Anyone knows a name for a positioning holder?

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 23:07:15 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus15297 quickly quoth:

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:29:44 -0700, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:58:14 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus15297 quickly quoth:

Thanks Larry. I am wondering if anyone simply sells arms with balls
and a way to connect them together, instead of all that complex stuff.

Now that's a troll if I ever heard one.

Got a lathe and/or mill? Got some rod and some bar stock? Got bolts,
washers, and wingnuts? Go for it! 'Taint rocket surgery.

Thanks Larry. After some thinking, I found some pieces in my junk pile
that, I think, will work nicely. They are three pieces from some
conveyor system that was at a now defunct envelope factory. On each
piece, I can move an object along the axis and also rotate it around
the axis. I can tighten bolts that would stop the sliding or
turning. The axis is a square. That means that with three of them, I
can make a system that would use two of them as vertical legs, and one
as a horizontal axis. I would them use a threaded rod to move the
horizontal carriage along the horizontal axis.

Be sure to post pics/specs of the jig on the Dropbox when you're
done, Iggy.

I only wish I took more of these from that guy. He was closing down
that factory.

Yeah, if only our hindsight was foresight then, eh? sigh

What I want to do is to make a system that would move a tig torch
precisely along a straight line. That's the idea.

Hell's Bells, man. Mount a pair of magnets to a drawer slide, lay it
next to where you want the weld, lay a strip of leather over it (to
keep out sparks, etc.), then lay your torch hand on that. Now roll
along in a straight line at full TIG speed.

Maybe this would work for other projects. It sounds as if you have
this one covered.

--
Strong like ox, smart like tractor.