Lurch

Default urgent advice on tiling / artex please!

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:37:03 GMT, "Zipadee Doodar"
scrawled:

Plumber finally came yesterday and stripped out entire bathrom, leaving me a
clear field to remove old tiles before he returns on Monday to fit the new
stuff. We wanted to get rid of the floor to ceiling 6 inch square white
tiles and replace just to dado height apart from round the shower area,
plastering or arstecing above the dado. All the tiles are off now, revealing
a layer of.....floor to ceiling 6 inch off white tiles These are rock
solid, and I dont want to hack them off, in case the wall plaster beneath
comes apart, setting the whole job back by weeks while I get a plasterer in.
A quick confab with wife, and here is the plan: put new tiles as planned,
but over old, solid tiles. The question is, above my new tiles, above dado
height, is it feasible to skim coat, or arstec over the old tiles? Does
arstec stick to tiling?

We have waited the best part of a year to get this job on the go (let down
by several plumbers) so I don't want this to set us back any more. Any
advice much appreciated.

I wouldn't even entertain the idea of tiling\plastering over old
tiles. Remove the old tiles, replaster as neccesary. It will be much
easier for the plasterer to patch\skim a plaster wall than some glazed
tiles, if he even attempts it that is.

I'm assuming you've got at least 2 internal walls in this room? Worst
case, new plasterboard and a bag of bonding and 4 solid, new, flat
walls.

Plastering over old tiles, worst case, uneven plaster gives way and
ends up in the bath with you.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group