Doug Smith

Default wood blind installation question

You had it right for you window comfig. You will never be happy with
a joint in the middle of a window. 25-89-25 is the way to go.This
being an exception to the general rule. If you have a choice of tilt
controls go with the two string (cord tilt) as opposed to the wand
type. They work smoother, are easier to use and seem to last longer
on the larger blinds. You will need a helper to install the large one.
Be sure to install all the center supports. Most people who have two
inch blinds never raise them except to clean the windows.

A word about quality. Quality is determined by things the average
person never notices. That is why almost all the companies have
several grades. The slat thickness will vary from grade to grade. The
number of coats of paint may vary. The smoothness of the wood will
vary. The quality of the cord pulls will vary from wood to really
cheap plastic. The internal components in the headrail may be of metal
or plastic. All have some plastic but avoid the ones where they are
all plastic except for the metal tilt rod. The number of vertical
ladders can vary. On a real wood the ladders may be up to 24" apart.
On a quality faux blind the distance is never more than 12". The
wonderwood product made by many using Hunter- Douglas components is
a quality faux product. Some of the major brand names sold in the
BORG are not of the same level.

As for color, 99% of what the professional decorators sell is some
shade of white. It goes with any decor, offends no one and hides dust
quite well. The general rule is you blend with the color of your
window trim. For future resale potential I can assure that white is
the choice.

Colbyt

The borg I'm checking out carries Hunter&Douglas, Levolor, and
Shadeomatic. I think they are all priced similar, when comparing similar
products. More expensive products are from other canadian wood blind
suppliers. That's a good idea to check the smoothness of the finish,
smoother will be much easier to keep clean.

Our window trim and vinyl windows are white, and the surrounding walls
are off-white/cream. I'm not sure if I want more white in the room.
Certainly it's a good suggestion. I just thought matching the blinds to
the floor would be a nice touch to break up the white, and the natural
wood should be a fairly neutral color. However, the faux wood option
(polywood) is very tempting too. It's maintanance, finish and simplicity
is attractive.

thanks