Edwin Pawlowski

Default Insulating Underground Pipes

"Stretch" wrote in message
ups.com...
I doubt the Steam pipes are steam. Most likely hot water. If steam,
one will be staem and then a smaller condensate return line. There is
a company that makes pipes pre insulated with foam and encased in pvc.
Rovaco I think. Try that.

Why do you doubt it is steam? Make a lot of sense to me as steam can easily
deliver a lot of energy at some distance compared to water. Many buildings
in large cities do not have any heating systems, but rely on steam
generating plants to deliver the steam to them and distribute it through the
building. I do agree that 1" copper seems a bit small for the main
distribution at residential pressures.

If the pipes are steam, they will be in excess of 215 degrees. that rules
out the use of most foam plastics for insulation though. Go with a mineral
or fiberglass product.