LRod

Default Review: Delta 17-968 variable speed drill press

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:02:51 -0700, "Teamcasa"
wrote:

"LRod"
It runs much better on 220v

That is more a function of your installation. It is not a function of
120V vs 240V. If a gazillion amps were available at the terminals of
the motor, you would not be able to tell a scintilla of difference
between 120V and 240V. Inside, the motor can't tell, because the split
windings always see 120V. They're wired in series for 240V and in
parallel for 120V.

I know, but since the panel is 50' from the outlet, I'm a touch short of a
gazillion amps.
220v allows me to use smaller wires on longer runs.

If you're going to use the "allows...smaller wires" argument to run
240V there's no point in running it.

My point was that if your drill press (or any tool) runs better on
240V than on 120V, it's not because it's running on 240V. The motor
can't tell. There's nothing about the motor that cares whether the
jumpers are set for 120V or 240V.

If it runs better on 240V it's because your service to the receptacle
is not capable of overcoming the voltage drop that occurs in
operation, particularly starting. And not only is that a legitimate
reason for running on 240V it's the principle reason that the
"allows...smaller wires" argument is just plain silly.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net