George E. Cawthon

Default How Long Of A Power Cord?

Eric R Snow wrote:
On 21 Oct 2005 09:16:20 -0700, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

In about a month, I will be replacing a significant number of power
cords on a variety of metal and wood working machines.

So how long of a cord should a person replace them with?

It's a harder question to answer than at first glance. It's like asking
"How high should I build my workbench?"..it depends.

Of course one should replace the cord so the new one reaches the outlet
but how much extra cord should one allow?

Over the years, machines have come with a variety of lengths in
relation to their power cords so just replacing it with what it had may
not be a good approach. When copper was expensive, the cords got
shorter to save costs. And over the years, cords are replaced because
of damage or old age.

As a matter of good practice I will be installing wire adequate for the
currents needed, using grounded plugs, appropiate insulation types but
the simple question of "How Long?" is one I would like to have your
opinion on.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

TMT

I have found that with receptacles every 4 feet around the perimeter
in my shop that 6 foot long cords work the best. This allows me to
move the buffers, etc. to a position that works best. BTW, all my
receptacles are 4 feet up the wall too. Makes it much easier to plug
things in. If buying cord in bulk and making up cords with plugs you
install yourself it is often cheaper to but long extension cords and
cut them to length. As an example 14/3 orange bulk extension cord is
.39 per foot at the local hardware store. 100 foot long 14/3 orange
extension cords already made up is $14.89 or .1489 per foot.
ERS

You bet, that is what I do, buy a 25 foot 12 gage
cord and cut it up. For example, I rewired my
table saw and needed only a 6 foot cord to make a
4 foot connection(used the end with the plug),
then cut a 6 foot piece for an extension and used
the remainder (about 13 feet) for another
extension cord. The most expensive part was the
two male and two female connectors. With the
regular wire and a 6 foot and a 13 foot extension
cord I can select what I need to get the minimum
voltage drop.

As far as how long you make cords, your should
make them whatever is convenient for what you have
now or expect to have in less than 1 year. If
you need to slightly extend them later, put on a
new cord, or make short extension cords.