Andrew Gabriel

Default High Humidity - Problem?

In article ,
(John Flynn) writes:
I have a Mitsubishi MJ-E16PX Dehumidifier with which I am well
pleased. I am using it in my bedroom at the moment and it seems to be
extracting, what I think is, a lot of water. On average it is
collecting 8 litres per 24 hours (the dehumidifier is on from 7am to
10pm). The humidity on the dehumidifier ranges from 60% - 75%.

The room is pretty large 16 feet x 16 feet x 14 feet high. The
building is an old victorian with stone walls. The bedroom has two
addults and one baby sleeping in it overnight.

Is 8 litres per day to be expected ? Or do I have a problem - possible
water ingres? If so how can go about finding the problem?

Firstly, why do you think you have any problem with humidity?
(What symptoms are you seeing?)

Secondly, drying out a room in a Victorian building (or even many
modern buildings) in this way is going to damage the building.
Timber (like floorboards) is going to curl up or warp, laths are
going to shrink away from the plaster weakening ceilings, etc.
I ran one for about 6 weeks, until I realised it was curling up
the floor, which took over a year to recover.

Dehumidifiers (even small ones) need to be used with care,
particulaly in old buildings. They are far too effective in the
room they're in, and useless elsewhere. Opening windows and
ventilating naturally is much better, and if you have a damp problem,
fix that.

--
Andrew Gabriel