TKM

Default Electric baseboard heat bad?

"skyf" wrote in message
ups.com...
We're looking at buying a 1961 home in Oregon. It has electric
baseboard heat. I've heard that it's expensive and doesn't heat the
house very well. Is this true? I don't want to buy a house and then buy
a new heating system.

Skyf

The quality of the heat with electric baseboards is excellent. It's fast,
easy to control (thermostats in every room), clean and there are no drafts.
Not much maintenance either. Clean the units with the vacuum and check the
thermostats and you're done.

But it is less efficient than gas or a heat pump and can be costly depending
upon your electric utility. I have electric baseboard heat in a condo in
western NY state and qualify for a special rate; but electricity is still
expensive there ($.14 -- $.16/kWh). But, considering the expense of
converting to gas, I'm better off adding insulation and weather stripping
especially since gas prices have doubled in the area this year.

TKM