John Grabowski

Default Identify Wire?

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news:aXa6f.31$0V6.12@trndny06...

"Dick" wrote in message

I'm guessing that it's 14 gauge but it may be 12 gauge. Just for my
curiosity...any ideas on what it is?

It's a dumb idea. If you don't know what the wire is, how do you know if

it
is the correct wire? Rather than try to save $4, let the electrician, who
is a licensed professional, do the job the right way.

I agree with Edwin. I've had customers who thought that they could save
money by going to the supply house to get materials and pay for it
themselves. I give them a material list and give them the addresses of the
suppliers. When I get to the job they don't have all of the materials I
requested, because the supplier was out, or there was a communication
problem between the counterman and the customer, or they couldn't get
everything in their car, etc. It winds up with them running to the supply
house while I am on the job waiting (With the meter running) for them to
come back with the right materials.

Since you have no idea what you need, you might as well let your electrician
provide the necessary materials. You may wind up paying for a full roll of
wire when all that is needed is a few feet.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv